Harold Baker, a young architect from the Midlands, joined Falconer and Campbell practising at St. Francis in Theescombe Lane early last century. In May, 1912, Harold or "Spuds" Baker formed Amberley Scout Troop registered at Scout Headquarters as Troop No. 1181.
"...........started a Scout Troop in 1912" - so reads "Spuds" Baker's book of words still preserved in the Group's archives together with many of his nostalgic photographic records and log books of the 20's and 30's. Early meetings were held in a painter's shed at Frogmarsh near the old mill. The premises soon became inadequate and permission was obtained from the National Trust in 1915/16 to erect a Scout Hut at the old site of Jackdaw Quarry in Culver Hill. It was timber framed with corrugated iron cladding and was lit and heated by gas.
In 1919, a hut, which had been used to house German prisoners of war at Leighterton Aerodrome, was acquired and erected to serve as the main assembly and activity hut.
With the growth of the movement, the Group system was introduced and Amberley was re-registered as No. 2950 having a Rover Crew, Scout Troop and a Wolf Cub Pack. Additional corrugated iron huts were added in the 1920s to accommodate the Rovers and Wolf Cubs, trek cart and